Saturday, February 7, 2009

JV Wrestling finals

Tyler was apart of the Junior Varsity Bayfield wrestling team during the 08-09 season. This is his first ever wrestling; I felt he did extremely well considering being pitted against kids who wrestled since elementary school. I felt has some balls to participate in this sporting event without any past experience. I promised him he could get a tatoo of a bulls' balls on his forearms to signify his experience...

The lesson of being beat is humbling and I feel more imporant than winning; however, I have nothing but confidence he will only improve over the next few years. I reminded him of one of my favorite quotes "That which does not kill you only makes you stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche.


Enjoy the video below of a few of his last matches. Tyler is wearing all purple.

Here was his last match, finishing off the year! Very minimal video editing. I did speed up the video.


To view more pictures of Tyler warming up click here: MORE PICTURES

Until next year.

4 comments:

  1. Nietzsche sucked as wrestling; Tyler could have easily taken him down. Now, Nietzsche's mustache was a different animal - I wouldn't want to meet that in a dark alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler, we are so proud of your tenacity. It takes courage to try new things and put yourself out there. Great job for going the distance. Grandmother Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should read up on Nietzsche; I do like his quotes but I remember him being fanatic about something... religion, politics, or both to some degree. Are there any books you recommend regarding Nietzsche?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Philosophy, I find, is a very difficult thing to read, especially the source material. Many traditional curricula tout starting from the Greeks and then move, more or less, chronologically; this is based on the idea that later philosophers are really taking to earlier ones - arguing and debating with them. Nietzsche is pretty modern and wacked out to boot (I think he loved opium).

    Anyway, try The Portable Nietzsche (http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Nietzsche-Viking-Library/dp/0140150625) since it's abridged but the material is written directly by him.

    If you're looking for a general philosophy primer, my favorite is The History of Western Philosophy (http://www.amazon.com/History-Western-Philosophy-Routledge-Classics). Russell was no slouch himself, and his book has lots of historical elements as well. (But he hated Nietzsche. I think he found the Ubermensch idea laughable coming from such a wimpy dude.)

    Oh, and Nietzsche's views on Buddhism were not kind.

    How'd we get on this topic? Back to the post at hand...

    Go, Tyler! Good job.

    ReplyDelete