Monday, July 6, 2009

Training Snapshot - Trail Running

My training is nothing to gloat about; however, this is only my base training. Meaning, I am not focused upon speed-intervals or strength training as of yet. While this blog posting is focused upon only the trail jogging data, my overall training schedule is as follows: jogging and swimming M,W,F. Mountain Biking T,TH,S.

Below, I display the jogging data I collected today from my Garmin205 of a local trail system within the Gulch.


The Totals once again are nothing impressive. It is just volume training. Notice the slow first 2 miles and the last two miles. Which were uphill!? You can figure that out by looking at the total Ascent for each lap. A 9:43 Average Pace which I feel is relatively very slow. But, I have to keep reminding myself this year is only base/volume training!



Click on the images for the larger version. The total elevation gain was 700ft (error factor of +- 18ft) "We ain't in Kansas(Ohio) any more Toto"


Below is a topo of the map with the trail I jog. The streets on the west side of the map is Durango. It is a fairly nice trail for an early morning jog. Avoiding the heat and the typical noon monsoon rains of CO's July month encourages me to get up in the morning. Also, the rattle snakes are too cold to be out; however, the mountain lions who are used to humans maybe lurking about for an earlier morning snack.



I am subscribing to the training techniques defined by Joe Friel. He recommends a copious amount of volume training before engaging with more advanced training such as intervals and strength. I would love to have had a Garmin with the HR monitor to overlay the data. Also, observing the HR average decrease overtime is a sure sign of gauging aerobic/anaerobic improvement. Maybe next year I will upgrade to the 305.

No comments:

Post a Comment