Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Xterra Buffalo Creek 09

My buddy from work Dan O, motivated me to train for an Xterra. What is an Xterra? Basically, it is a triathlon but with a twist. Traditional triathlons consist of a swim(typically, open water), a road bike ride, and a road run. However, Xterras are a swim (typically, open water), a mountain bike ride, and a trail run. I completed a number of traditional triathlons while in the military, and Xterras actually sounded more enjoyable.

So for the last month I built up a basic base for swimming, trail jogging and mountain bike riding. My goal, was simple, I did not want to finish last!

Dan and I travelled to Bailey, Co (30 minutes south of Denver) to compete in the Buffalo Creek Xterra on 20June09. We drove up the night before and camped out before the event.

Here is a picture of the transition area from the lake swim to the bike. It was also the same transition are from the bike finish to begin the trail run. Dan and I setup in the back left corner.


Below a picture of Dan sleeping before the event. Oddly, he looks like a corpse in that tent. I slept in the back of the Element (bear safe!)



Below is a listing of the results. I am happy to say, Dan finished first in our age group (the most competive) and I did not finish last!!! I was happy. Notice who finished first in the 35-39 age group. If you look closely at my times, you will notice I barely beat a few 55-98 age group! Never say your too old to have fun entering events like this.

(Click on the image for the larger version)


The next event is July 18th in Buffalo Creek, near Vale. Dan, Tyler and I will enter. Tyler will make his first appearance on the Xterra circuit. He has been training hard, especially with his swimming to prepare. I will post more pictures from the Buffalo Creek event when I receive them from the event's photography group.

No comments:

Post a Comment