Sunday, August 2, 2009

Indian Peaks - Xterra

The family all traveled to Denver Thursday. Tyler and I have been preparing for an Xterra (off road Triathlon) near Boulder, CO on Saturday Aug. 1, 2009. We left Durango on Thursday afternoon.

This was Tyler's second Xterra but this time was a full distance Xterra. 1000m swim, 18km bike, 10 km run Once again, he did outstanding. This sport is a mature sport, there are very few participants under the age of 19.(click for larger image)


The swim route was a one lap rectangle course. These I appreciate due to the longer legs and less turning. Below are pictures of Tyler and I exiting the swim and had a small dash to Transition 1 where we prepared for the biking.


(click for larger image)


Below, Tyler just got done swimming and looking tough. He is getting ready to dash to Transition 1 for the bike. The cold impacted him a bit, he felt frigid and had trouble lacing his shoes.

(click for larger image)

Below, Tyler already out of his wetsuit and ready to begin the mountain bike portion of the race. Take note of his new mountain bike, it is a Titus Racer X TI. Not to brag or gloat, but this bike is more expensive than any car he will own while living with us! ;) His prior mountain bike was 33 lbs and meant for other uses of mountain biking. It was way too heavy for racing and cross country riding. His new bike is 26 lbs!


(click for larger image)

The bike route was fairly muddy and fraught with small boulders and wet tree roots. For an Xterra I don't mind the challenge, but for the use as fun Mountain bike trail, I would not ride it again. Below, I completed the Bike and transitioning to the run.

(click for larger image)


Video below of Tyler crossing the finish line! Overall, another great Xterra trip.







Rebecca and Brianna watching the transitions!

(click for larger image)

Results: I am fairly happy with my performance overall I beat over 55% of the field. I finished 18th of my age group. If I finished 15th I get points towards the national events. My goal next year is to be competitive enough to consistently finish in the top 15th.

Tyler did outstanding, for only 5 weeks of training he is performing like a champ, we have not started training for speed or strength only volume (Frequency * Duration)

(click for larger image)


4 comments:

  1. NICE JOB GUYS!!! Tyler, I hear on the cold water... I hope the new bike made a difference... Looks great in the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job guys. Keep it up and next year you'll be front of the pack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW-what an accomplishment. Mom and Dad/Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all,

    Ryan, I think you will be doing these next year with us!

    ReplyDelete